Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Lauds

She will be here…
Maybe. In some short years,
Or months, or dragging decades.

During those nights,
These silky, rolling sheets
Will be shared by another.

The cold, freezing air
Will contain her breaths.
Each graceful and soft.

In a dream I will reach out
And stumble upon another
Touching her lukewarm skin.

At this hour, she sleeps
Or so I hope, for one throbbing
Heart may be too much.

I have learned that the sharing will
Cost everything, with her come ideas,
Attitudes, and desires contrary to mine.

To be honest I will not like them:
Her makeup in the bathroom,
Her romantic movies replacing mine.

She will ask me to stop playing
My games, and to be with her
Instead, of the computer or alone.

Ideally she will speak her mind:
Our dinner table filled with
Discussions of theology and politics.

But despite all of this:
Drain of my wallet,
My time, me;

I pray that I can share a life
With that beautiful woman
That is her.

No comments:

Post a Comment