Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Vespers


A few months ago
I sat on the edge of a lake
As one of the short days of summer
Sank below the western mountains.

Then the breeze was strong
And clean. The cool air moved all
Around, drying my storm-drenched
Tent, and whispering “relax.”

We didn’t have enough to eat,
On that splendid evening.
But, when I wanted seconds,
She gave me the last of it.

I wonder if I can ever get
Enough of this mundane miracle
Of dinners and lunches,
And breakfasts and snacks.

I am a hungry man,
Stacking my plate two or three
Layers high at the cornucopias of
family reunions and thanksgivings.

There is so much food
On this earth: rashers, breads
Roasts, venison, soups, apples,
Beets, pies, wines, and curries.

I have nine or ten
Short decades to taste it,
Appreciate it, savor it,
Love it, share it.

I will never enjoy all of it,
But I can say
The small, inadequate words
I learned so long ago:

“Bless us our Lord,
For these thy gifts.
Which we are about to receive,
Through the Bounty of Christ, our Lord.”

1 comment:

  1. Mhm... lovely. I know that when I am trying to get myself in the right mind, I remember back to the days when I went hungry a lot. I think of how my life is like those times- and partaking of the Eucharist is like those evenings when we actually had something to eat, or maybe something other than water to drink. It really makes it more poignant for me.
    However, now that I have read this poem, I'm really hungry...

    ReplyDelete